Welcome Fellow Traveler!

Each of us is on a journey through mortality, and our mission is to find peace within ourselves and within the people around us, in our immediate families and circles to the community as a whole.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Second Sunday

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to visit Talara, a dusty oil town about 2 hours north of the city of Piura where I live. I was visiting with my fellow teacher and friend Angela.  This was my second visit with her. My first visit, I invited her to attend an LDS worship service with me. She accepted. It was a small ward and I saw one of the missionaries that used to serve in my ward in Piura.

Yesterday, Angela also agreed to come to church with me. I explained that it was a fast and testimony meeting, meaning that members of the congregation were invited to share their testimonies or feelings about God, Jesus, or the church.

"Are you going to share yours?" She asked me as we sat in the chapel.

We were two of maybe 10 people there right at 9 a.m.

" I don't know," I replied. Honestly, I hadn't really thought about it.

"If the Lord asks you to do it... you'll have to  do it," Angela said.

I agreed.  I still didn't feel inspired to share my testimony. I didn't prepare anything in advance. What could I say in Spanish? As the meeting progressed, and the Sacrament was passed, the Spirit really started to touch my heart.

After the first few testimonies, I knew I had to get up and share my thoughts. The Spirit was strong. Tears openly fell from my eyes.

But what could I say ad hoc in Spanish? I thought back to the chapter in the Doctrine and Covenants where the Lord said He would tell the missionaries what to say at the right time. I prayed that this would be the case for me.

I thought about what message I wanted to say. What had been on my mind and in my heart lately? I wanted to find a scripture that indicated that God was always near and my mind was impressed to read Doctrine and Covenants 24:8:

 Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.

The scripture hit me hard. Being here in Peru has been a challenging experience. I am here by myself and the Lord has been merciful unto me through many good people here in Peru and elsewhere.

As the time passed, the chapel filled with more people but it was still a small gathering.

My heart started thumping and catching fire. I knew I had to share the feelings in my heart,even if they were jumbled at that point. I waited for the right opportunity as I tried to organize my thoughts first in English and the secondly in Spanish. A quick glance at the clock behind me revealed I didn't have much time left.

A man went up and waited on the stand, along with another woman. I knew I had to go up at the next transition and wait on the stand, no direct from the chair to the pulpit for me this time.

When the speaker finished, I got up and walked to an open chair and looked out at the crowd. I rehearsed what I wanted to say and prayed that the Lord would help me say what I wanted to say in Spanish.

The woman finished and I heard the "amen" of the crowd. I was up to bat. I walked to the pulpit and surveyed the congregation. I wasn't shaking as bad as the first time.

I went on and just said what was in my heart in Spanish, really letting my thoughts just come. I stumbled and forgot at some points what I wanted to say and forgot words like evangelio (gospel). It's a hard word to say for me.

I finished up and sat down, my heart was still racing. My friend Angela gave me a reassuring pat on the shoulder and I felt so peaceful and warm for sharing my heart.

"How bad was my Spanish?" I whispered to her.

She assured me it was fine.

Even though I was a visitor in the ward, I felt good sharing my testimony.

After I introduced myself,explained I was from the United States, and apologized for my skill in speaking Spanish, this is what I (more or less) said:

First, I want to say that I believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.  It is very hard for me to be far away from my family, my friends, my country, my culture, my language, but I know God is close to me through prayer, scriptures and the church.  

God and Jesus know I am here and they hear my prayers.  I couldn't live my life without God.  I am happy for my friends here in Peru.  The church is true.

I also read the scripture from Doctrine and Covenants.

That was my testimony of the heart. The Lord helped me say what I wanted to say in Spanish and hopefully touch some of the congregation member's hearts. He truly does know each of us and where each of us is in this world.  God is real and He is keenly aware of our needs, hopes, fears, and dreams.






1 comment:

LEIDY LAMA said...

God is always with us everywhere we go :)